Long Video Classic Plug-in for RICOH THETA
Overcomes 25 minute video limitation of the standard THETA V. Uses standard bitrate encoding and H.264 compression.
- No spatial audio. The code can be modified to save a 4ch spatial audio .wav file with first-order ambisonics B-format. The spatial audio file is not saved by default to avoid people having to delete the file.
- metadata is stripped out of the file. You may need to inject the metadata using a tool after your shoot. Instructions are below.
Installation and Setup
If you are are compiling from source, follow these steps for installation:
- install plug-in with adb
- set permissions with Vysor
- use the THETA Desktop app to set the default plug-in "Long Video Classic"
- put camera into plug-in mode
- take video
- stop plug-in by pressing lower mode button
- turn camera off by pressing the power button for 8 seconds
- turn camera back on and plug into your computer with a USB cable
- look for the file in /RICOH THETA V/Fixed Storage/DCIM/100RICOH
Spatial Media Metadata Injector
You may need to inject the metadata into the video file with Spatial Media Metadata Injector.
Install the binary file with the link above. Pre-built applications are available for Mac and Windows.
Open the file.
Save the file with metadata injected with a new filename. Use the new video file with injected metadata in your applications and on YouTube/Facebook.
The 4k-long-video plug-in uses HEVC compression and lower bitrate encoding. It can save longer videos and the file size will be smaller. However, you may have problems dealing with HEVC videos with some applications.